RANKS AND STRUCTURE
CADETThe starting rank in the Cavalry. No previous requirements are necessary, aside from applying. The link to the application form can be found at the top of the entrance discord channel and only requires your WoR name, Discord name, and Steam name.
Monthly Pay: 5.00
Chevrons: One bar in worsted.
Monthly Pay: 13.00
On and Off the Field:
Attendance of minimum 2 events, or another form of activity that helps the unit, administratively or socially. (Discord, Steam, YouTube, Reddit, etc)
The ability to change in-game name and tags, as well as explain the process to others.
A basic understanding of the use of Discord, including Push-To-Talk and Event Sign-Up.
Demonstration of the use of B.R.V.C., including interpreting it to pass it on to others.
Chevrons: Two bars in worsted.
Monthly Pay: 20.00
On the Field:
Relaying instructions and orders given by commander
Maintaining unit accountability of immediate vicinity
Assisting newer members who have difficulty keeping up in battle
Taking over when all the ranks above them have died gloriously
Off the Field:
Taking attendance and battle reports
Recruitment, within reason
Assisting higher ranks in administrative duties within the regiment
Learning basics of event coordination and inter-regimental communication
Chevrons: Three bars in worsted.
Monthly Pay: 34.00
On the field:
Responsible for keeping Troopers and Corporals combat effective and cohesive at all times, as well as the colours.
Leading detachments of skirmishers, scouts, or flag rescue parties while communicating with officer
Relaying instructions and orders given by commander or providing own instructions in delay of orders
Delegating chain of command if it appears that unit may suffer major or total casualties
Off the Field:
Taking attendance and battle reports and checking in with new members to offer help
Recruitment ideas and initiatives as well as drill ideas
Assisting, or forming and leading drills when possible
Keeping track of development of subordinates
NOTE: Structure could vary from regiment to regiment, and deviated from the original structure of Federal Cavalry, outlined below
- Out of the 176 officers of the five original regiments, 104 cast their lot with their native Southern states when the Civil War broke.
- A regiment was originally commanded by a Colonel, and had a Lieutenant Colonel, 3 Majors, an Adjutant, Adjutant's Staff, a Quartermaster, a Commissary, a regimental Surgeon and Surgeon's Assistant.
The non-commissioned roles included: one Sergeant-Major, one Quartermaster Sergeant, one Commissary Sergeant, one Saddler Sergeant, a Chief Farrier or Blacksmith, and two Hospital Stewards.
- One regiment originally contained 12 Troops, each troop consisting of 100 men, commanded by a Captain, a 1st Lieutenant, a 2nd Lieutenant, and a Supernumerary Lieutenant. - One Southern cavalry regiment, on paper was commanded by a Colonel, with a Lieutenant Colonel, a Major, and an Adjutant. Each consisted of 10 Troops, the equivalency of a Company, each numbering 60 to 80 Troopers.
- One Troop/Company was commanded by a Captain, a 1st Lieutenant, a 2nd Lieutenant, a 3rd Lieutenant (aka Cornet, Ensign, Subaltern, or Supernumery Lieutenant) and included five Sergeants, four Corporals, a Farrier and a Blacksmith. But of course, this structure was always liable to go ass-over-tits at any given time.
The Cavalry Brigade
- Cavalry regiments were formed into brigades; brigades into divisions; divisions into Corps or Armies.
- A Confederate cavalry division might have up six brigades. The number of regiments in each brigade varied from two to six, depending on the strength of the units. An "Army"/Corps contained two or three Divisions.
Cavalry Battery/Horse Artillery
- Whenever possible, horse artillery was attached to the cavalry, and was followed by its own train of ammunition, supply wagons and rolling forage.
LIEUTENANT COLONEL [1stVA.Cav]LtCol. name
Major [1stVA.Cav]Maj. name
Captain [1stVA.Cav]Capt. name
Adjutant [1stVA.Cav]Adj. name
1st Lieutenant [1stVA.Cav]1stLt. name
2nd Lieutenant [1stVA.Cav]2ndLt. name
3rd Lieutenant [1stVA.Cav]3rdLt. name
Non Commissioned Officer
Sergeant-Major [1stVA.Cav]SgtMaj. name
Quartermaster [1stVA.Cav]QM. name
Quartermaster Sergeant [1stVA.Cav]QmSgt. name
Ordnance Sergeant [1stVA.Cav]OrdSgt. name
First Sergeant [1stVA.Cav]1stSgt. name
Sergeant [1stVA.Cav]Sgt. name
Corporal [1stVA.Cav]Cpl. name
Non Commissioned Member
Lance Corporal [1stVA.Cav]LCpl. name
Ranger [1stVA.Cav]Rngr. name
Trooper [1stVA.Cav]Tpr. name
Cadet [1stVA.Cav]Cdt. name